- is the final author's manuscript accepted by the publisher for publication
- contains all the revisions made in the course of the peer review process
- is equivalent to the published version in terms of content
- is designed by the author
- does not have a publisher layout or contain any publisher logos
Publishing houses rarely allow the use of the publisher PDF for publication in a repository.
Some publishing houses only permit the publication of articles in repositories after a so-called embargo from the first publication date. The embargo generally varies between 6 to 36 months.