Create readme files for logical "clusters" “clusters” of data. In many cases it will be appropriate to create one document for a dataset that has multiple, related, similarly formatted files, or files that are logically grouped together for use (e.g. a collection of Matlab scripts). Sometimes it may make sense to create a readme for a single data file.
- For each filename, a short description of what data it contains
- Format of the file if not obvious from the file name
- If the data set includes multiple files that relate to one another, the relationship between the files or a description of the file structure that holds them (possible terminology might include "dataset" or "study" or "data package"“dataset” or “study” or “data package”)
- Date that the file was created
- Date(s) that the file(s) was updated (versioned) and the nature of the update(s), if applicable
- Information about related data collected but that is not in the described dataset