Freely accessible information services can be used by all users, customers regardless of the IP rangeaddress.
When using electronic resources, please Please note the following aspects when using electronic media:
- Members of ETH Zurich can access electronic resources fee-based electronic media or those licensed by the ETH Library from the ETH sub-networks (e-journals, databases, e-books, etc.) for which a fee is charged or which are licensed by ETH Library from the sub-networks of ETH Zurich.All external users can access resources in the public areas of .
- Access for all external customers is possible only on the premises of the ETH Library.
Direct access is only possible from the main networks of ETH Zurich (in some cases proxy still required):
Check whether the IP address for your computer is within the ETH Zurich network structure: Check your IP address
Access to databases and e-journals
To access the following databases, you have to have a User ID and password:
- SciFinder Scholar
- Hydrological Atlas of Switzerland (Hades)
You can find the relevant information for each by clicking on the "Information on the database" link on our website.
In exceptional cases, a
user ID and password are
required for access to databases and e-journals.
Reaching the right document quickly and easily from the literature search
Clicking on the SFX button in a database, or on the link "Online resource" in on ETH Library's Search Portal takes you to a service page with more links indicating how to obtain the document you need.
The bX Recommender Service lists articles which may also be of interest to the user. On ETH Library's Search Portal, these articles are displayed in tthe full view of a title. Accessing articles via a database and the SFX button, the recommendations are included in the SFX menu. The recommendations are generated from patterns of use for SFX files. ETH Library is one of several hundred university libraries worldwide which makes this data available for analysis in an anonymised and encrypted form.
For electronic resources for which a fee is charged, ETH Library has entered into licensing agreements with the relevant providers. These define the terms and conditions of use, taking account of current copyright law.
The following general points apply to the use of these resources:
Members of ETH Zurich will find the corresponding information in the protected area: Login information for databases and e-journals. Please log in using your ETH login. External customers should contact the library staff in person or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fast and convenient literature search
Click on the link resolver button (ETH Get it) in a database or the Online Resource link in the ETH Library @ swisscovery to access a service page with further links for options for obtaining the required document.
For fee-based electronic media, the ETH Library has licence agreements with the respective providers that stipulate terms and conditions of use based on aspects such as copyright law.
The following applies in general to the use of these media:
- The full texts must only be printed or saved for personal use and for research purposes. Use for commercial purposes is prohibited.
- Systematic downloading of articles, e-books or other full text versions, or of texts, as well as search results, especially in particular by using robots or similar software, is prohibited.Articles and other electronic resources may not be passed on to third parties or used commercially, in either electronic or printed form.